Definitions of type:
- noun: a small metal block bearing a raised character on one end; produces a printed character when inked and pressed on paper
Example: "He dropped a case of type, so they made him pick them up"
- noun: a subdivision of a particular kind of thing
Example: "What type of sculpture do you prefer?"
- noun: all of the tokens of the same symbol
Example: "The word `element' contains five different types of character"
- noun: printed characters
Example: "Small type is hard to read"
- noun: (biology) the taxonomic group whose characteristics are used to define the next higher taxon
- noun: a person of a specified kind (usually with many eccentricities)
Example: "The capable type"
- verb: identify as belonging to a certain type
Example: "Such people can practically be typed"
- verb: write by means of a keyboard with types
Example: "Type the acceptance letter, please"
Search for type at other dictionaries: OneLook, Oxford, American Heritage, Merriam-Webster, Wikipedia