Definitions of yard:
- noun: an enclosure for animals (as chicken or livestock)
- noun: a long horizontal spar tapered at the end and used to support and spread a square sail or lateen
- noun: the enclosed land around a house or other building
Example: "It was a small house with almost no yard"
- noun: an area having a network of railway tracks and sidings for storage and maintenance of cars and engines
- noun: a tract of land enclosed for particular activities (sometimes paved and usually associated with buildings)
Example: "They opened a repair yard on the edge of town"
- noun: a unit of length equal to 3 feet; defined as 91.44 centimeters; originally taken to be the average length of a stride
- noun: the cardinal number that is the product of 10 and 100
- noun: a unit of volume (as for sand or gravel)
- name: A surname (rare: 1 in 100000 families; popularity rank in the U.S.: #13128)
Search for yard at other dictionaries: OneLook, Oxford, American Heritage, Merriam-Webster, Wikipedia
Copyright © 2021 Datamuse