Definitions of wide:
- adjective: having great (or a certain) extent from one side to the other
Example: "Wide roads"
- adjective: great in degree
Example: "Won by a wide margin"
- adjective: not on target
Example: "The kick was wide"
- adjective: having ample fabric
Example: "The current taste for wide trousers"
- adjective: very large in expanse or scope
Example: "The wide plains"
- adjective: (used of eyes) fully open or extended
Example: "Stared with wide eyes"
- adjective: great in range or scope
Example: "A wide selection"
- adjective: broad in scope or content
Example: "Granted him wide powers"
- adverb: to or over a great extent or range; far
Example: "Wandered wide through many lands"
- adverb: with or by a broad space
Example: "Stand with legs wide apart"
- adverb: far from the intended target
Example: "The arrow went wide of the mark"
- adverb: to the fullest extent possible
Example: "Open your eyes wide"
- name: A surname (very rare: popularity rank in the U.S.: #66496)
Search for wide at other dictionaries: OneLook, Oxford, American Heritage, Merriam-Webster, Wikipedia
Copyright © 2022 Datamuse