Definitions of wake:
- noun: a vigil held over a corpse the night before burial
Example: "There's no weeping at an Irish wake"
- noun: the wave that spreads behind a boat as it moves forward
Example: "The motorboat's wake capsized the canoe"
- noun: an island in the western Pacific between Guam and Hawaii
- noun: the consequences of an event (especially a catastrophic event)
Example: "In the wake of the accident no one knew how many had been injured"
- verb: be awake, be alert, be there
- verb: make aware of
- verb: cause to become awake or conscious
Example: "Please wake me at 6 AM."
- verb: arouse or excite feelings and passions
Example: "Wake old feelings of hatred"
- verb: stop sleeping
- name: A surname (common: 1 in 100000 families; popularity rank in the U.S.: #14153)
Search for wake at other dictionaries: OneLook, Oxford, American Heritage, Merriam-Webster, Wikipedia
Copyright © 2022 Datamuse