Definitions of support:
- noun: a military operation (often involving new supplies of men and materiel) to strengthen a military force or aid in the performance of its mission
Example: "They called for artillery support"
- noun: the act of bearing the weight of or strengthening
Example: "He leaned against the wall for support"
- noun: aiding the cause or policy or interests of
Example: "The president no longer had the support of his own party"
- noun: the activity of providing for or maintaining by supplying with money or necessities
Example: "His support kept the family together"
- noun: any device that bears the weight of another thing
Example: "There was no place to attach supports for a shelf"
- noun: supporting structure that holds up or provides a foundation
Example: "The statue stood on a marble support"
- noun: something providing immaterial support or assistance to a person or cause or interest
Example: "The policy found little public support"
- noun: the financial means whereby one lives
Example: "He applied to the state for support"
- noun: financial resources provided to make some project possible
Example: "The foundation provided support for the experiment"
- noun: documentary validation
Example: "The strongest support for this this view is the work of Jones"
- noun: a subordinate musical part; provides background for more important parts
- verb: support materially or financially
Example: "He does not support his natural children"
- verb: give moral or psychological support, aid, or courage to
Example: "She supported him during the illness"
- verb: play a subordinate role to (another performer)
Example: "Olivier supported Gielgud beautifully in the second act"
- verb: adopt as a belief
- verb: argue or speak in defense of
Example: "She supported the motion to strike"
- verb: be the physical support of; carry the weight of
Example: "He supported me with one hand while I balanced on the beam"
- verb: support with evidence or authority or make more certain or confirm
- verb: be a regular customer or client of
- verb: establish or strengthen as with new evidence or facts
Example: "The evidence supports the defendant"
- verb: be behind; approve of
- verb: put up with something or somebody unpleasant
Search for support at other dictionaries: OneLook, Oxford, American Heritage, Merriam-Webster, Wikipedia
Copyright © 2022 Datamuse