Definitions of subordinate:
- noun: an assistant subject to the authority or control of another
- noun: a word that is more specific than a given word
- verb: make subordinate, dependent, or subservient
Example: "Our wishes have to be subordinated to that of our ruler"
- verb: rank or order as less important or consider of less value
Example: "Art is sometimes subordinated to Science in these schools"
- adjective: subject or submissive to authority or the control of another
Example: "A subordinate kingdom"
- adjective: lower in rank or importance
- adjective: of a clause; unable to stand alone syntactically as a complete sentence
Example: "A subordinate (or dependent) clause functions as a noun or adjective or adverb within a sentence"
- adjective: inferior in rank or status
Example: "A subordinate functionary"
Search for subordinate at other dictionaries: OneLook, Oxford, American Heritage, Merriam-Webster, Wikipedia