Definitions of state:
- noun: the way something is with respect to its main attributes
Example: "The current state of knowledge"
- noun: a politically organized body of people under a single government
Example: "The state has elected a new president"
- noun: the group of people comprising the government of a sovereign state
Example: "The state has lowered its income tax"
- noun: the territory occupied by one of the constituent administrative districts of a nation
Example: "His state is in the deep south"
- noun: a state of depression or agitation
Example: "He was in such a state you just couldn't reason with him"
- noun: the territory occupied by a nation
- noun: (chemistry) the three traditional states of matter are solids (fixed shape and volume) and liquids (fixed volume and shaped by the container) and gases (filling the container)
Example: "The solid state of water is called ice"
- noun: the federal department in the UnitedStates that sets and maintains foreign policies
Example: "The Department of State was created in 1789"
- verb: express in words
Example: "State your opinion"
- verb: put before
- verb: indicate through a symbol, formula, etc.
- name: A surname (very rare: popularity rank in the U.S.: #67563)
Search for state at other dictionaries: OneLook, Oxford, American Heritage, Merriam-Webster, Wikipedia
Copyright © 2022 Datamuse