Definitions of scrape:
- noun: a deep bow with the foot drawn backwards (indicating excessive humility)
- noun: a harsh noise made by scraping
Example: "The scrape of violin bows distracted her"
- noun: an indication of damage
- noun: an abraded area where the skin is torn or worn off
- verb: bend the knees and bow in a servile manner
- verb: scratch repeatedly
Example: "The cat scraped at the armchair"
- verb: gather (money or other resources) together over time
Example: "She had scraped together enough money for college"
- verb: make by scraping
Example: "They scraped a letter into the stone"
- verb: strike against an object
- verb: cut the surface of; wear away the surface of
- verb: bruise, cut, or injure the skin or the surface of
- name: A surname (very rare: popularity rank in the U.S.: #78453)
Search for scrape at other dictionaries: OneLook, Oxford, American Heritage, Merriam-Webster, Wikipedia
Copyright © 2021 Datamuse