Definitions of scale:
- noun: a flattened rigid plate forming part of the body covering of many animals
- noun: an indicator having a graduated sequence of marks
- noun: a measuring instrument for weighing; shows amount of mass
- noun: (music) a series of notes differing in pitch according to a specific scheme (usually within an octave)
- noun: a thin flake of dead epidermis shed from the surface of the skin
- noun: a specialized leaf or bract that protects a bud or catkin
- noun: relative magnitude
Example: "They entertained on a grand scale"
- noun: the ratio between the size of something and a representation of it
Example: "The scale of the map"
- noun: an ordered reference standard
Example: "Judging on a scale of 1 to 10"
- noun: a metal sheathing of uniform thickness (such as the shield attached to an artillery piece to protect the gunners)
- verb: take by attacking with scaling ladders
Example: "The troops scaled the walls of the fort"
- verb: measure by or as if by a scale
Example: "This bike scales only 25 pounds"
- verb: size or measure according to a scale
Example: "This model must be scaled down"
- verb: measure with or as if with scales
Example: "Scale the gold"
- verb: remove the scales from
Example: "Scale fish"
- verb: pattern, make, regulate, set, measure, or estimate according to some rate or standard
- verb: climb up by means of a ladder
- verb: reach the highest point of
Example: "We scaled the Mont Blanc"
- name: A surname (very rare: popularity rank in the U.S.: #49586)
Search for scale at other dictionaries: OneLook, Oxford, American Heritage, Merriam-Webster, Wikipedia
Use in a sentence...
Copyright © 2020 Datamuse