Definitions of sacrifice:
- noun: (sacrifice) an out that advances the base runners
- noun: the act of killing (an animal or person) in order to propitiate a deity
- noun: personnel that are sacrificed (e.g., surrendered or lost in order to gain an objective)
- noun: a loss entailed by giving up or selling something at less than its value
Example: "He had to sell his car at a considerable sacrifice"
- noun: the act of losing or surrendering something as a penalty for a mistake or fault or failure to perform etc.
- verb: make a sacrifice of; in religious rituals
- verb: endure the loss of
- verb: sell at a loss
- verb: kill or destroy
Example: "The animals were sacrificed after the experiment"
Search for sacrifice at other dictionaries: OneLook, Oxford, American Heritage, Merriam-Webster, Wikipedia
Copyright © 2022 Datamuse