Definitions of retire:
- verb: dispose of; as of old clothes
Example: "She finally retired that old coat"
- verb: go into retirement; stop performing one's work or withdraw from one's position
Example: "He retired at age 68"
- verb: withdraw from active participation
Example: "He retired from chess"
- verb: make (someone) retire
Example: "The director was retired after the scandal"
- verb: withdraw from circulation or from the market, as of bills, shares, and bonds
- verb: cause to retire
Example: "The pitcher retired three batters"
- verb: lose interest
Example: "He retired from life when his wife died"
- verb: go to bed in order to sleep
- verb: cause to be out on a fielding play
- verb: break from a meeting or gathering
Example: "The men retired to the library"
- verb: move back and away from
- verb: pull back or move away or backward
Search for retire at other dictionaries: OneLook, Oxford, American Heritage, Merriam-Webster, Wikipedia
Copyright © 2022 Datamuse