Definitions of pump:
- noun: a mechanical device that moves fluid or gas by pressure or suction
- noun: a low-cut shoe without fastenings
- noun: the hollow muscular organ located behind the sternum and between the lungs; its rhythmic contractions pump blood through the body
- verb: flow intermittently
- verb: supply in great quantities
Example: "Pump money into a project"
- verb: question persistently
Example: "She pumped the witnesses for information"
- verb: deliver forth
Example: "Pump bullets into the dummy"
- verb: operate like a pump; move up and down, like a handle or a pedal
- verb: raise (gases oor fluids) with a pump
- verb: move up and down
Example: "The athlete pumps weights in the gym"
- verb: draw or pour with a pump
- name: A surname (very rare: popularity rank in the U.S.: #45806)
Search for pump at other dictionaries: OneLook, Oxford, American Heritage, Merriam-Webster, Wikipedia
Copyright © 2021 Datamuse