Definitions of public:
- noun: a body of people sharing some common interest
Example: "The reading public"
- noun: people in general considered as a whole
Example: "He is a hero in the eyes of the public"
- adjective: not private; open to or concerning the people as a whole
Example: "The public good"
- adjective: affecting the people or community as a whole
Example: "The public welfare"
- name: A surname (very rare: popularity rank in the U.S.: #79534)
Search for public at other dictionaries: OneLook, Oxford, American Heritage, Merriam-Webster, Wikipedia