Definitions of pressure:
- noun: a force that compels
Example: "The public brought pressure to bear on the government"
- noun: the somatic sensation of pressure
Example: "The sensitivity of his skin to pressure and temperature was normal"
- noun: the force applied to a unit area of surface; measured in pascals (SI unit) or in dynes (cgs unit)
Example: "The compressed gas exerts an increased pressure"
- noun: an oppressive condition of physical or mental or social or economic distress
- noun: the act of pressing; the exertion of pressure
Example: "He used pressure to stop the bleeding"
- noun: the state of urgently demanding notice or attention
- verb: exert pressure on someone through threats
- verb: to cause to do through pressure or necessity, by physical, moral or intellectual means :"She forced him to take a job in the city"
Search for pressure at other dictionaries: OneLook, Oxford, American Heritage, Merriam-Webster, Wikipedia
Copyright © 2021 Datamuse