Lyrics and poems
Synonyms / Related
Definitions of press:
- noun: the act of pressing; the exertion of pressure
Example: "He gave the button a press"
- noun: a weightlift in which the barbell is lifted to shoulder height and then smoothly lifted overhead
- noun: any machine that exerts pressure to form or shape or cut materials or extract liquids or compress solids
- noun: a machine used for printing
- noun: clamp to prevent wooden rackets from warping when not in use
- noun: the gathering and publishing of news in the form of newspapers or magazines
- noun: newspaper writers and photographers
- noun: a tall piece of furniture that provides storage space for clothes; has a door and rails or hooks for hanging clothes
- noun: a dense crowd of people
- noun: the state of urgently demanding notice or attention
Example: "The press of business matters"
- verb: be urgent
Example: "This is a pressing problem"
- verb: place between two surfaces and apply weight or pressure
Example: "Pressed flowers"
- verb: exert pressure or force to or upon
Example: "He pressed down on the boards"
- verb: make strenuous pushing movements during birth to expel the baby
- verb: press from a plastic
Example: "Press a record"
- verb: create by pressing
Example: "Press little holes into the soft clay"
- verb: crowd closely
Example: "The crowds pressed along the street"
- verb: to be oppressive or burdensome
Example: "Weigh heavily on the mind, Something pressed on his mind"
- verb: exert oneself continuously, vigorously, or obtrusively to gain an end or engage in a crusade for a certain cause or person; be an advocate for
- verb: force or impel in an indicated direction
- verb: lift weights
Example: "This guy can press 300 pounds"
- verb: ask for or request earnestly
- verb: squeeze or press together
Example: "She compressed her lips"
- name: A surname (rare: 1 in 100000 families; popularity rank in the U.S.: #11800)
Search for press at other dictionaries: OneLook, Oxford, American Heritage, Merriam-Webster, Wikipedia
Use in a sentence...
Copyright © 2020 Datamuse