Definitions of power:
- noun: possession of controlling influence
Example: "The deterrent power of nuclear weapons"
- noun: one possessing or exercising power or influence or authority
Example: "The mysterious presence of an evil power"
- noun: (physics) the rate of doing work; measured in watts (= joules/second)
- noun: possession of the qualities (especially mental qualities) required to do something or get something done
Example: "Danger heightened his powers of discrimination"
- noun: a mathematical notation indicating the number of times a quantity is multiplied by itself
- noun: (of a government or government official) holding an office means being in power
Example: "During his first year in power"
- noun: physical strength
- noun: a state powerful enough to influence events throughout the world
- noun: a very wealthy or powerful businessman
- verb: supply the force or power for the functioning of
Example: "The gasoline powers the engines"
- name: A surname (common: 1 in 20000 families; popularity rank in the U.S.: #2665)
Search for power at other dictionaries: OneLook, Oxford, American Heritage, Merriam-Webster, Wikipedia
Use in a sentence...
Copyright © 2020 Datamuse