Definitions of pioneer:
- noun: one the first colonists or settler in a new territory
Example: "They went west as pioneers with only the possessions they could carry with them"
- noun: someone who helps to open up a new line of research or technology or art
- verb: open up and explore a new area
Example: "Pioneer space"
- verb: open up an area or prepare a way
Example: "She pioneered a graduate program for women students"
- verb: take the lead or initiative in; participate in the development of
Example: "This South African surgeon pioneered heart transplants"
Search for pioneer at other dictionaries: OneLook, Oxford, American Heritage, Merriam-Webster, Wikipedia