Definitions of pay:
- noun: something that remunerates
Example: "He wasted his pay on drink"
- verb: give money, usually in exchange for goods or services
Example: "Pay the waitress, please"
- verb: discharge or settle
Example: "Pay a debt"
- verb: do or give something to somebody in return
Example: "Does she pay you for the work you are doing?"
- verb: make a compensation for
- verb: render
Example: "Pay a visit"
- verb: be worth it
Example: "It pays to go through the trouble"
- verb: bear (a cost or penalty), in recompense for some action
Example: "You'll pay for this!"
- verb: bring in
Example: "How much does this savings certificate pay annually?"
- verb: dedicate
Example: "Pay attention to"
- verb: convey, as of a compliment, regards, attention, etc.; bestow
Example: "Don't pay him any mind"
- verb: cancel or discharge a debt
Example: "Pay up, please!"
- name: A surname (very rare: popularity rank in the U.S.: #27282)
Search for pay at other dictionaries: OneLook, Oxford, American Heritage, Merriam-Webster, Wikipedia
Copyright © 2022 Datamuse