Definitions of pain:
- noun: a somatic sensation of acute discomfort
Example: "As the intensity increased the sensation changed from tickle to pain"
- noun: emotional distress; a fundamental feeling that people try to avoid
Example: "The pain of loneliness"
- noun: a bothersome annoying person
Example: "That kid is a terrible pain"
- noun: a symptom of some physical hurt or disorder
Example: "The patient developed severe pain and distension"
- noun: something or someone that causes trouble; a source of unhappiness
- verb: cause emotional anguish or make miserable
Example: "It pains me to see my children not being taught well in school"
- verb: cause bodily suffering to
- name: A surname (very rare: popularity rank in the U.S.: #46004)
Search for pain at other dictionaries: OneLook, Oxford, American Heritage, Merriam-Webster, Wikipedia