Definitions of note:
- noun: a characteristic emotional quality
Example: "It ended on a sour note"
- noun: a brief written record
Example: "He made a note of the appointment"
- noun: a short personal letter
- noun: a comment or instruction (usually added)
Example: "His notes were appended at the end of the article"
- noun: a notation representing the pitch and duration of a musical sound
Example: "The singer held the note too long"
- noun: a tone of voice that shows what the speaker is feeling
Example: "There was a note of uncertainty in his voice"
- noun: a promise to pay a specified amount on demand or at a certain time
Example: "I had to co-sign his note at the bank"
- noun: a piece of paper money (especially one issued by a central bank)
Example: "He peeled off five one-thousand-zloty notes"
- noun: high status importance owing to marked superiority
- verb: observe with care or pay close attention to
Example: "Take note of this chemical reaction"
- verb: make mention of
Example: "They noted that it was a fine day to go sailing"
- verb: make a written note of
Example: "She noted everything the teacher said that morning"
- verb: notice or perceive
Example: "She noted that someone was following her"
Search for note at other dictionaries: OneLook, Oxford, American Heritage, Merriam-Webster, Wikipedia
Copyright © 2021 Datamuse