Definitions of mount:
- noun: mounting consisting of a piece of metal (as in a ring or other jewelry) that holds a gem in place
Example: "The diamond was in a plain gold mount"
- noun: the act of climbing something
- noun: something forming a back that is added for strengthening
- noun: a land mass that projects well above its surroundings; higher than a hill
- noun: a lightweight horse kept for riding only
- verb: fix onto a backing, setting, or support
Example: "Mount slides for macroscopic analysis"
- verb: attach to a support
Example: "They mounted the aerator on a floating"
- verb: put up or launch
Example: "Mount a campaign against pronography"
- verb: prepare and supply with the necessary equipment for execution or performance
Example: "Mount a theater production"
- verb: go up or advance
- verb: copulate with
- verb: get on the back of
Example: "Mount a horse"
- verb: go upward with gradual or continuous progress
- name: A surname (rare: 1 in 33333 families; popularity rank in the U.S.: #3701)
Search for mount at other dictionaries: OneLook, Oxford, American Heritage, Merriam-Webster, Wikipedia
Copyright © 2021 Datamuse