Definitions of motion:
- noun: the act of changing location from one place to another
Example: "Police controlled the motion of the crowd"
- noun: a change of position that does not entail a change of location
Example: "The reflex motion of his eyebrows revealed his surprise"
- noun: a formal proposal for action made to a deliberative assembly for discussion and vote
Example: "He made a motion to adjourn"
- noun: a state of change
Example: "They were in a state of steady motion"
- noun: the use of movements (especially of the hands) to communicate familiar or prearranged signals
- noun: a natural event that involves a change in the position or location of something
- noun: an optical illusion of motion produced by viewing a rapid succession of still pictures of a moving object
Example: "The cinema relies on apparent motion"
- verb: show, express or direct through movement
Search for motion at other dictionaries: OneLook, Oxford, American Heritage, Merriam-Webster, Wikipedia
Copyright © 2021 Datamuse