Definitions of layer:
- noun: thin structure composed of a single thickness of cells
- noun: a hen that lays eggs
- noun: single thickness of usually some homogeneous substance
- noun: a relatively thin sheetlike expanse or region lying over or under another
- noun: an abstract place usually conceived as having depth
Example: "A simile has at least two layers of meaning"
- verb: make or form a layer
Example: "Layer the different colored sands"
- name: A surname (very rare: popularity rank in the U.S.: #35366)
Search for layer at other dictionaries: OneLook, Oxford, American Heritage, Merriam-Webster, Wikipedia