Definitions of formal:
- adjective: logically deductive
Example: "Formal proof"
- adjective: characteristic of or befitting a person in authority
Example: "Formal duties"
- adjective: being in accord with established forms and conventions and requirements (as e.g. of formal dress)
Example: "Pay one's formal respects"
- adjective: (of spoken and written language) adhering to traditional standards of correctness and without casual, contracted, and colloquial forms
Example: "The paper was written in formal English"
- adjective: represented in simplified or symbolic form
- adjective: refined or imposing in manner or appearance; befitting a royal court
Search for formal at other dictionaries: OneLook, Oxford, American Heritage, Merriam-Webster, Wikipedia