Definitions of foliate:
- verb: grow leaves
Example: "The tree foliated in Spring"
- verb: number the pages of a book or manuscript
- verb: coat or back with metal foil
Example: "Foliate glass"
- verb: decorate with leaves
- verb: hammer into thin flat foils
Example: "Foliate metal"
- adjective: (often used as a combining form) having or resembling a leaf or having a specified kind or number of leaves
Example: "`foliate' is combined with the prefix `tri' to form the word `trifoliate'"
- adjective: ornamented with foliage or foils
Example: "Foliate tracery"
- adjective: (especially of metamorphic rock) having thin leaflike layers or strata
Search for foliate at other dictionaries: OneLook, Oxford, American Heritage, Merriam-Webster, Wikipedia