Definitions of division:
- noun: the act or process of dividing
- noun: the act of dividing or partitioning; separation by the creation of a boundary that divides or keeps apart
- noun: an arithmetic operation that is the inverse of multiplication; the quotient of two numbers is computed
- noun: discord that splits a group
- noun: an army unit large enough to sustain combat
Example: "Two infantry divisions were held in reserve"
- noun: a group of ships of similar type
- noun: a unit of the United States Air Force usually comprising two or more wings
- noun: an administrative unit in government or business
- noun: (botany) taxonomic unit of plants corresponding to a phylum
- noun: (biology) a group of organisms forming a subdivision of a larger category
- noun: a league ranked by quality
Example: "Princeton is in the NCAA Division 1-AA"
- noun: one of the portions into which something is regarded as divided and which together constitute a whole
Example: "The BBC's engineering division"
Search for division at other dictionaries: OneLook, Oxford, American Heritage, Merriam-Webster, Wikipedia
Copyright © 2022 Datamuse