Lyrics and poems
Synonyms / Related
Definitions of cutting:
- noun: the act of diluting something
Example: "The cutting of whiskey with water"
- noun: a piece cut off from the main part of something
- noun: a part (sometimes a root or leaf or bud) removed from a plant to propagate a new plant through rooting or grafting
- noun: the act of shortening something by cutting off the ends
- noun: the act of cutting something into parts
Example: "His cutting of the cake made a terrible mess"
- noun: the act of penetrating or opening open with a sharp edge
- noun: the division of a deck of cards before dealing
Example: "The cutting of the cards soon became a ritual"
- noun: cutting away parts to create a desired shape
- noun: the activity of selecting the scenes to be shown and putting them together to create a film
- noun: an excerpt cut from a newspaper or magazine
- adjective: (of speech) harsh or hurtful in tone or character
Example: "Cutting remarks"
- adjective: suitable for cutting or severing
Example: "A cutting tool"
- adjective: as physically painful as if caused by a sharp instrument
Example: "A cutting wind"
- adjective: unpleasantly cold and damp
- name: A surname (rare: 1 in 100000 families; popularity rank in the U.S.: #8070)
Search for cutting at other dictionaries: OneLook, Oxford, American Heritage, Merriam-Webster, Wikipedia
Use in a sentence...
Copyright © 2020 Datamuse