Definitions of core:
- noun: a bar of magnetic material (as soft iron) that passes through a coil and serves to increase the inductance of the coil
- noun: the chamber of a nuclear reactor containing the fissile material where the reaction takes place
- noun: a small group of indispensable persons or things
Example: "Five periodicals make up the core of their publishing program"
- noun: the center of an object
Example: "The ball has a titanium core"
- noun: the central part of the Earth
- noun: a cylindrical sample of soil or rock obtained with a hollow drill
- noun: an organization founded by James Leonard Farmer in 1942 to work for racial equality
- noun: the choicest or most essential or most vital part of some idea or experience
- noun: the central meaning or theme of a speech or literary work
- verb: remove the core or center from
Example: "Core an apple"
- name: A surname (rare: 1 in 50000 families; popularity rank in the U.S.: #7344)
Search for core at other dictionaries: OneLook, Oxford, American Heritage, Merriam-Webster, Wikipedia
Copyright © 2021 Datamuse