Definitions of contrivance:
- noun: the faculty of contriving; inventive skill
Example: "His skillful contrivance of answers to every problem"
- noun: an artificial or unnatural or obviously contrived arrangement of details or parts etc.
Example: "The plot contained too many improbable contrivances to be believable"
- noun: an elaborate or deceitful scheme contrived to deceive or evade
Example: "His testimony was just a contrivance to throw us off the track"
- noun: the act of devising something
- noun: any improvised arrangement for temporary use
- noun: a device that is very useful for a particular job
Search for contrivance at other dictionaries: OneLook, Oxford, American Heritage, Merriam-Webster, Wikipedia