Definitions of character:
- noun: the inherent complex of attributes that determine a persons moral and ethical actions and reactions
Example: "Education has for its object the formation of character- Herbert Spencer"
- noun: an actor's portrayal of someone in a play
- noun: a formal recommendation by a former employer to a potential future employer describing the person's qualifications and dependability
Example: "Requests for character references are all to often answered evasively"
- noun: a written symbol that is used to represent speech
Example: "The Greek alphabet has 24 characters"
- noun: a person of a specified kind (usually with many eccentricities)
Example: "A real character"
- noun: good repute
Example: "He is a man of character"
- noun: a characteristic property that defines the apparent individual nature of something
Example: "The radical character of our demands"
- noun: an imaginary person represented in a work of fiction (play or film or story)
Example: "She is the main character in the novel"
- verb: engrave or inscribe characters on
Search for character at other dictionaries: OneLook, Oxford, American Heritage, Merriam-Webster, Wikipedia
Copyright © 2022 Datamuse