Definitions of bluff:
- noun: the act of bluffing in poker; deception by a false show of confidence in the strength of your cards
- noun: pretense that your position is stronger than it really is
Example: "His bluff succeeded in getting him accepted"
- noun: a high steep bank (usually formed by river erosion)
- verb: frighten someone by pretending to be stronger than one really is
- verb: deceive an opponent by a bold bet on an inferior hand with the result that the opponent withdraws a winning hand
- adjective: bluntly direct and outspoken but good-natured
Example: "A bluff but pleasant manner"
- adjective: very steep; having a prominent and almost vertical front
Example: "A bluff headland"
Search for bluff at other dictionaries: OneLook, Oxford, American Heritage, Merriam-Webster, Wikipedia