Definitions of best:
- noun: the supreme effort one can make
Example: "They did their best"
- noun: the person who is most outstanding or excellent; someone who tops all others
Example: "He could beat the best of them"
- noun: Canadian physiologist (born in the United States) who assisted F. G. Banting in research leading to the discovery of insulin (1899-1978)
- verb: get the better of
Example: "The goal was to best the competition"
- adjective: (superlative of `good') having the most positive qualities
Example: "The best film of the year"
- adverb: it would be sensible
Example: "You'd best stay at home"
- adverb: in a most excellent way or manner
Example: "He played best after a couple of martinis"
- adverb: from a position of superiority or authority
Example: "Father knows best"
- name: A surname (common: 1 in 6250 families; popularity rank in the U.S.: #737)
Search for best at other dictionaries: OneLook, Oxford, American Heritage, Merriam-Webster, Wikipedia