Definitions of bear:
- noun: massive plantigrade carnivorous or omnivorous mammals with long shaggy coats and strong claws
- noun: an investor with a pessimistic market outlook; an investor who expects prices to fall and so sells now in order to buy later at a lower price
- verb: take on as one's own the expenses or debts of another person
Example: "She agreed to bear the responsibility"
- verb: have rightfully; of rights, titles, and offices
Example: "She bears the title of Duchess"
- verb: have
Example: "Bear a resemblance"
- verb: move while holding up or supporting
Example: "Bear gifts"
- verb: bring forth, "The apple tree bore delicious apples this year"
- verb: contain or hold; have within
- verb: have on one's person
Example: "Bear a scar"
- verb: be pregnant with
Example: "She is bearing his child"
- verb: bring in
Example: "Interest-bearing accounts"
- verb: behave in a certain manner
- verb: give birth (to a newborn)
- verb: support or hold in a certain manner
- verb: put up with something or somebody unpleasant
Example: "I cannot bear his constant criticism"
- name: A surname (rare: 1 in 33333 families; popularity rank in the U.S.: #4614)
Search for bear at other dictionaries: OneLook, Oxford, American Heritage, Merriam-Webster, Wikipedia
Copyright © 2022 Datamuse