Definitions of authority:
- noun: official permission or approval
Example: "Authority for the program was renewed several times"
- noun: the power or right to give orders or make decisions
Example: "He has the authority to issue warrants"
- noun: an authoritative written work
Example: "This book is the final authority on the life of Milton"
- noun: an expert whose views are taken as definitive
Example: "He is an authority on corporate law"
- noun: (usually plural) persons who exercise (administrative) control over others
- noun: freedom from doubt; belief in yourself and your abilities
Example: "She spoke with authority"
- noun: an administrative unit of government
Example: "Tennessee Valley Authority"
Search for authority at other dictionaries: OneLook, Oxford, American Heritage, Merriam-Webster, Wikipedia
Copyright © 2022 Datamuse