Lyrics and poems
Synonyms / Related
Definitions of seat:
- noun: any support where you can sit (especially the part of a chair or bench etc. on which you sit)
Example: "He dusted off the seat before sitting down"
- noun: furniture that is designed for sitting on
Example: "There were not enough seats for all the guests"
- noun: the cloth covering for the buttocks
Example: "The seat of his pants was worn through"
- noun: a space reserved for sitting (as in a theater or on a train or airplane)
Example: "He booked their seats in advance"
- noun: a center of authority (as a city from which authority is exercised)
- noun: the fleshy part of the human body that you sit on
- verb: provide with seats
Example: "Seat a concert hall"
- verb: put a seat on a chair
- verb: be able to seat
Example: "The theater seats 2,000"
- verb: show to a seat; assign a seat for
Example: "The host seated me next to Mrs. Smith"
- verb: place ceremoniously or formally in an office or position
- name: A surname (very rare: popularity rank in the U.S.: #22648)
Search for seat at other dictionaries: OneLook, Oxford, American Heritage, Merriam-Webster, Wikipedia
(New!) Usage examples...
Copyright © 2019 Datamuse