Definitions of acknowledge:
- verb: accept (someone) to be what is claimed or accept his power and authority
Example: "The Crown Prince was acknowledged as the true heir to the throne"
- verb: accept as legally binding and valid
Example: "Acknowledge the deed"
- verb: express obligation, thanks, or gratitude for
Example: "We must acknowledge the kindness she showed towards us"
- verb: report the receipt of
Example: "The program committee acknowledged the submission of the authors of the paper"
- verb: declare to be true or admit the existence or reality or truth of
Example: "She acknowledged that she might have forgotten"
- verb: express recognition of the presence or existence of, or acquaintance with
Example: "He never acknowledges his colleagues when they run into him in the hallway"
Search for acknowledge at other dictionaries: OneLook, Oxford, American Heritage, Merriam-Webster, Wikipedia
Copyright © 2021 Datamuse