Definitions of shy:
- noun: a quick throw
Example: "He gave the ball a shy to the first baseman"
- verb: throw quickly
- verb: start suddenly, as from fight
- adjective: wary and distrustful; disposed to avoid persons or things
Example: "Shy of strangers"
- adjective: easily startled or frightened
- adjective: lacking self-confidence
- name: A surname (rare: 1 in 100000 families; popularity rank in the U.S.: #13408)
Search for shy at other dictionaries: OneLook, Oxford, American Heritage, Merriam-Webster, Wikipedia