Definitions of sense:
- noun: the faculty through which the external world is apprehended
Example: "In the dark he had to depend on touch and on his senses of smell and hearing"
- noun: a general conscious awareness
Example: "A sense of security"
- noun: a natural appreciation or ability
Example: "A keen musical sense"
- noun: the meaning of a word or expression; the way in which a word or expression or situation can be interpreted
Example: "The dictionary gave several senses for the word"
- noun: sound practical judgment
Example: "I can't see the sense in doing it now"
- verb: detect some circumstance or entity automatically
Example: "This robot can sense the presence of people in the room"
- verb: comprehend
Example: "I sensed the real meaning of his letter"
- verb: become aware of not through the senses but instinctively
Example: "I sense his hostility"
- verb: perceive by a physical sensation, e.g., coming from the skin or muscles
Search for sense at other dictionaries: OneLook, Oxford, American Heritage, Merriam-Webster, Wikipedia
Copyright © 2021 Datamuse