Definitions of race:
- noun: a contest of speed
Example: "The race is to the swift"
- noun: any competition
Example: "The race for the presidency"
- noun: people who are believed to belong to the same genetic stock
Example: "Some biologists doubt that there are important genetic differences between races of human beings"
- noun: a canal for a current of water
- noun: (biology) a taxonomic group that is a division of a species; usually arises as a consequence of geographical isolation within a species
- noun: the flow of air that is driven backwards by an aircraft propeller
- verb: cause to move fast or to rush or race
Example: "The psychologist raced the rats through a long maze"
- verb: to work as fast as possible towards a goal, sometimes in competition with others
- verb: compete in a race
Example: "Let's race and see who gets there first"
- verb: step on it
Example: "The cars raced down the street"
- name: A surname (rare: 1 in 50000 families; popularity rank in the U.S.: #4921)
Search for race at other dictionaries: OneLook, Oxford, American Heritage, Merriam-Webster, Wikipedia
Copyright © 2021 Datamuse