Definitions of drum:
- noun: small to medium-sized bottom-dwelling food and game fishes of shallow coastal and fresh waters that make a drumming noise
- noun: a musical percussion instrument; usually consists of a hollow cylinder with a membrane stretch across each end
- noun: a cylindrical metal container used for shipping or storage of liquids
- noun: the sound of a drum
Example: "He could hear the drums before he heard the fifes"
- noun: a hollow cast-iron cylinder attached to the wheel that forms part of the brakes
- noun: a bulging cylindrical shape; hollow with flat ends
- verb: make a rhythmic sound
Example: "Rain drummed against the windshield"
- verb: play a percussion instrument
- verb: study intensively, as before an exam
- name: A surname (rare: 1 in 50000 families; popularity rank in the U.S.: #6923)
Search for drum at other dictionaries: OneLook, Oxford, American Heritage, Merriam-Webster, Wikipedia
Copyright © 2021 Datamuse