Definitions of rust:
- noun: any of various fungi causing rust disease in plants
- noun: the formation of reddish-brown ferric oxides on iron by low-temperature oxidation in the presence of water
- noun: a reddish-brown discoloration of leaves and stems caused by a rust fungus
- noun: a red or brown oxide coating on iron or steel caused by the action of oxygen and moisture
- verb: become coated with oxide
- verb: become destroyed by water, air, or an etching chemical such as an acid
Example: "The pipes rusted"
- verb: cause to deteriorate due to the action of water, air, or an acid
Example: "The steady dripping of water rusted the metal stopper in the sink"
- adjective: of the color of rust
- name: A surname (rare: 1 in 25000 families; popularity rank in the U.S.: #3101)
Search for rust at other dictionaries: OneLook, Answers.com, Merriam-Webster
"Works flawlessly!": RhymeZone apps for iPhone/iPad and Android!
Help, Feedback, Customize, Android app, iPhone/iPad app
Copyright © 2013 Datamuse