Definitions of profess:
- verb: state insincerely
Example: "He professed innocence but later admitted his guilt"
- verb: confess one's faith in, or allegiance to
Example: "The teacher professed allegiance to the Muslim faith"
- verb: practice as a profession, teach, or claim to be knowledgeable about
Example: "She professes organic chemistry"
- verb: take vows, as in religious order
Example: "She professed herself as a nun"
- verb: receive into a religious order or congregation
- verb: state freely
Example: "The teacher professed that he was not generous when it came to giving good grades"
- verb: admit, make a clean breast of
Search for profess at other dictionaries: OneLook, Answers.com, Merriam-Webster
"Works flawlessly!": RhymeZone apps for iPhone/iPad and Android!
Help, Feedback, Customize, Android app, iPhone/iPad app
Copyright © 2013 Datamuse