Definitions of porter:
- noun: a very dark sweet ale brewed from roasted unmalted barley
- noun: a railroad employee who assists passengers (especially on sleeping cars)
- noun: a person employed to carry luggage and supplies
- noun: United States writer of short stories whose pen name was O. Henry (1862-1910)
- noun: United States composer and lyricist of musical comedies (1891-1946)
- noun: United States writer of novels and short stories (1890-1980)
- noun: someone who guards an entrance
- verb: carry luggage or supplies
Example: "They portered the food up Mount Kilimanjaro for the tourists"
- name: A surname (common: 1 in 1449 families; popularity rank in the U.S.: #129)
- name: A male given name (rare: 1 in 25000 males; popularity rank in the U.S.: #1200)
Search for porter at other dictionaries: OneLook, Answers.com, Merriam-Webster
"Works flawlessly!": RhymeZone apps for iPhone/iPad and Android!
Help, Feedback, Privacy, Customize, Android app, iPhone/iPad app
Copyright © 2013 Datamuse