Definitions of ply:
- noun: (usually in combinations) one of several layers of cloth or paper or wood as in plywood
- noun: one of the strands twisted together to make yarn or rope or thread; often used in combination
Example: "Three-ply cord"
- verb: apply oneself diligently
Example: "Ply one's trade"
- verb: use diligently
Example: "Ply your wits!"
- verb: wield vigorously
Example: "Ply an axe"
- verb: travel a route regularly
Example: "Ships ply the waters near the coast"
- verb: provide what is desired or needed, especially support, food or sustenance
- name: A surname (very rare: popularity rank in the U.S.: #54880)
Search for ply at other dictionaries: OneLook, Oxford, American Heritage, Merriam-Webster
"Works flawlessly!": RhymeZone apps for iPhone/iPad and Android!
Copyright © 2014 Datamuse