Definitions of language:
- noun: the mental faculty or power of vocal communication
Example: "Language sets homo sapiens apart from all other animals"
- noun: a systematic means of communicating by the use of sounds or conventional symbols
Example: "He taught foreign languages"
- noun: the cognitive processes involved in producing and understanding linguistic communication
Example: "He didn't have the language to express his feelings"
- noun: a system of words used in a particular discipline
Example: "The language of sociology"
- noun: the text of a popular song or musical-comedy number
Example: "The song uses colloquial language"
- noun: (language) communication by word of mouth
Example: "He uttered harsh language"
Search for language at other dictionaries: OneLook, Answers.com, Merriam-Webster
Help, Feedback, Customize, Android app, iPhone/iPad app
Copyright © 2013 Datamuse