Definitions of hollow:
- noun: a small valley between mountains
Example: "He built himself a cabin in a hollow high up in the Appalachians"
- noun: a cavity or space in something
Example: "Hunger had caused the hollows in their cheeks"
- noun: a depression hollowed out of solid matter
- verb: remove the interior of
Example: "Hollow out a tree trunk"
- verb: remove the inner part or the core of
- adjective: as if echoing in a hollow space
Example: "The hollow sound of footsteps in the empty ballroom"
- adjective: not solid; having a space or gap or cavity
Example: "A hollow wall"
- adjective: devoid of significance or point
Example: "A hollow victory"
- adjective: deliberately deceptive
Example: "Hollow (or false) promises"
- name: A surname (very rare: popularity rank in the U.S.: #22964)
Search for hollow at other dictionaries: OneLook, Answers.com, Merriam-Webster
"Works flawlessly!": RhymeZone apps for iPhone/iPad and Android!
Help, Feedback, Customize, Android app, iPhone/iPad app
Copyright © 2013 Datamuse