Definitions of alter:
- verb: remove the ovaries of
- verb: make an alteration to
Example: "This dress needs to be altered"
- verb: make or become different in some particular way, without permanently losing one's or its former characteristics or essence
- verb: cause to change; make different; cause a transformation
Example: "The advent of the automobile may have altered the growth pattern of the city"
- verb: insert words into texts, often falsifying it thereby
- name: A surname (rare: 1 in 100000 families; popularity rank in the U.S.: #9169)
Search for alter at other dictionaries: OneLook, Answers.com, Merriam-Webster
"Works flawlessly!": RhymeZone apps for iPhone/iPad and Android!
Help, Feedback, Privacy, Customize, Android app, iPhone/iPad app
Copyright © 2013 Datamuse