Definitions of alert:
- noun: a warning serves to make you more alert to danger
- noun: condition of heightened watchfulness or preparation for action
Example: "Bombers were put on alert during the crisis"
- noun: an automatic signal (usually a sound) warning of danger
- verb: warn or arouse to a sense of danger or call to a state of preparedness
Example: "We alerted the new neighbors to the high rate of burglaries"
- adjective: mentally responsive
Example: "An alert mind"
- adjective: very attentive or observant
Example: "An alert and responsive baby is a joy"
- adjective: (usually followed by `to') showing acute awareness; mentally perceptive
Example: "Alert to the problems"
- adjective: not unconscious; especially having become conscious
Example: "The patient is now awake and alert"
- name: A surname (very rare: popularity rank in the U.S.: #66111)
Search for alert at other dictionaries: OneLook, Answers.com, Merriam-Webster
"Works flawlessly!": RhymeZone apps for iPhone/iPad and Android!
Help, Feedback, Customize, Android app, iPhone/iPad app
Copyright © 2013 Datamuse