Lyrics and poems
Synonyms / Related
Definitions of waste:
- noun: useless or profitless activity; using or expending or consuming thoughtlessly or carelessly
Example: "If the effort brings no compensating gain it is a waste"
- noun: (law) reduction in the value of an estate caused by act or neglect
- noun: any materials unused and rejected as worthless or unwanted
Example: "They collect the waste once a week"
- noun: the trait of wasting resources
Example: "A life characterized by thriftlessness and waste"
- noun: an uninhabited wilderness that is worthless for cultivation
Example: "The trackless wastes of the desert"
- verb: run off as waste
Example: "The water wastes back into the ocean"
- verb: get rid of
Example: "We waste the dirty water by channeling it into the sewer"
- verb: spend thoughtlessly; throw away
Example: "He wasted his inheritance on his insincere friends"
- verb: cause to grow thin or weak
- verb: waste away
- verb: use inefficiently or inappropriately
Example: "Waste heat"
- verb: devastate or ravage
Example: "The enemy lay waste to the countryside after the invasion"
- verb: lose vigor, health, or flesh, as through grief
- verb: spend extravagantly
Example: "Waste not, want not"
- verb: get rid of (someone who may be a threat) by killing
- adjective: located in a dismal or remote area; desolate
Example: "Waste places"
- adjective: disposed of as useless
Example: "Waste paper"
Search for waste at other dictionaries: OneLook, Oxford, American Heritage, Merriam-Webster, Wikipedia
Use in a sentence...
Copyright © 2020 Datamuse