Definitions of vegetate:
- verb: grow or spread abnormally
Example: "Warts and polyps can vegetate if not removed"
- verb: grow like a plant
Example: "This fungus usually vegetates vigorously"
- verb: produce vegetation
Example: "The fields vegetate vigorously"
- verb: establish vegetation on
Example: "They vegetated the hills behind their house"
- verb: lead a passive existence without using one's body or mind
- verb: propagate asexually
Example: "The bacterial growth vegetated along"
- verb: engage in passive relaxation
Example: "After a hard day's work, I vegetate in front of the television"
Search for vegetate at other dictionaries: OneLook, Oxford, American Heritage, Merriam-Webster, Wikipedia